Tuesday, April 28, 2009

i-Tunes Podcats: Grade 10


One of the podcasts in the WGBH/PBS section of the i-Tunes U section that caught my eye was the post on Global Warming. Now I have always been a bit of a sceptic when it comes to Global Warming, but i still like to see the arguments because they do make a really good argument and makes me want to help our environment. It was talking about how the high amounts of both carbon monoxide and methane gases were causing a green house effect in our world which increases the temperature of our planet and fills our breathing air with chemicals that do not belong in our body. At the end of the podcast, the narrator told the view ways to help the environment by recycling, using less energy in the home, and perhaps purchasing more efficient vehicles (such as hybrid cars.)

As I have stated before, using podcasts in class I feel is a great way to teach kids. I think its even better when the students can go home and learn more about a certain subject on their computers. We are now entering the "computer age" in learning and pretty soon they are going to be talking over the entire education curriculum. I am not arguing with what will happen, I think it is a good thing, but it must be used for educational purposes or it will simply not be effective.

I would love to use i-Tunes U for my future classes when I become a teacher. This is something that would be very beneficial for all students as well as teachers wanting to take their teaching to the next level. As I said before, being a teacher in the future and not understanding how educational podcasts work will probably not go well together. Although it is very good to try and still do the hands-on learning with students, being able to post lectures, study guides, and chapter reviews on line using i-Tunes is a really cool thing. Easy access to things online may lead to more students being prepared for their classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment