Monday, April 27, 2009

Edible School House


The Edible Schoolyard was created by chef and author Alice Waters. It was founded at Martin Luther King Middle School in Berkley, CA in 1995. The purpose of this organization is to "create and sustain an organic garden and landscape that is wholly integrated into the school’s curriculum, culture and food program. It has been going on for over a decade and has gotten a number of positive reviews from people who have heard of it: me included!
After watching the podcast of these children, I first saw that these children were very excited. It is wonderful to see kids at that age learn about their own personal health and well being and getting into great habits at these early stages of life. It was interesting to me that these kids were learning things hands on and not just "burping it" back to the viewer. I think if given the opportunity that these kids could really teach others what they have learned in the edible school yard. This was something that I never really thought of as a tool to teach little children, but I am very impressed with the work Ms. Waters as done. To read more about Alice Waters click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment